Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What is Forgiveness? {lessons from those so young}


"light, love, and soup."


This is my second year reading The Tale of Despereaux with my sixth graders.

The theme of this book is forgiveness.
{Kate DiCamillo is brilliant.}

I asked them to write a few words on what they learned about forgiveness.
They always seem to teach me a few lessons too.

~

"Forgiveness helps get the hurt out.  If you forgive your heart will be pure."

~

"Forgiveness is a strong word that some people say with no meaning.  
When Despereaux’s father said, “Will you forgive me?” he said it with meaning.  
I think that is half the reason why Despereaux forgave his father."

~

"Forgiveness can be the only way to save your heart from breaking. 
Despereaux had to forgive his father to keep his own heart from breaking."


~

"If you did something bad to someone and you forgive them,
it’s like taking medicine for a cold; you feel a whole lot better.
Forgiveness can relieve stress."


~

"Forgiveness is a magical word, a word that can lift spirits.
Forgiveness can be little, however, it can also be big. 
It can change a life.  Even a little forgiveness can make a big difference."


~

"Forgiveness is power.
Forgiveness is being able to let go of what someone said or did to you;
being able to forgive is being able to move on.
Forgiveness is leaving the past, and moving on to the future...the next present."


~

"Forgiveness.
It’s like a cup of hot chocolate on a chilly day.
Forgiveness.
It’s like a light in the darkness of hate.
Forgiveness.
It’s a kindness that can change the soul, mind, and heart of a mean person {or thing}...
Who can forgive?
Anyone."

~

"Forgiveness is a light which lies within all of our hearts no matter how evil or how bad they may seem, forgiveness can cleanse their heart and fill it with a bright shining light."

~

"Forgiveness is like having a weight lifted off of your shoulders.
When you are forgiven, everything goes good again.
When you forgive someone, you feel better, there’s no more heavy weight on you.
That is what I think forgiveness is, having a weight lift off your shoulders."


 ~

If my students hadn't written these in front of me,
I would have hardly believed that they were written by those so young.
~
Light, Love and Soup
f o r g i v e n e s s
needed by all
understood
by every
soul
~

23 comments:

  1. While reading...I wasn't sure they were from your students either, thought they might be published quotes. Young people surprise me all the time. I was about that age when a teacher influenced me greatly, she had us write in journals...about choosing to see the good or bad, being positive or negative in life and forgiving.
    She was a favorite as You surely are with your students, Maria. They will think of you often when grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful and loving students; you're in a precious position. I'm glad you shared this.
    In peace,
    Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what they have hiding in their hearts and minds isn't it? Katie amazes me everyday, I sometimes ask, "Is that my child?"!
    I agreed with Wanda, they could have been published quotes!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Maria....these are just amazing!!! What wise words from the youth of today!!! My students are younger but they are always amazing me as well with their wisdom. They get it!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...my day is made!

    Now to that cake pan...wow...that is wonderful...I am almost tempted to buy one but I will try to make this one without a special pan just to see my results...I am up to the challenge for some reason.

    Yes...our retreat was last Friday...what a wonderful day it was! I do feel very blessed to teach at the school I am at. Teaching anywhere is such a blessing...your post today proves that.


    Have a blessed day my sweet friend. xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of the mouth of babes! They can teach us and do. You are blessed to be with them. Your soup looks perfect too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely comments, but what age are sixth graders? It means nothing to me as we use different names in the UK and it was years since my girls were at school anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes but sometimes it is so hard to forget some one.......i struggle with it sometimes really difficult......lovly day love Ria....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exquisite thoughts, I am learning so much from this!! Thanks for sharing this, it touched me at a needy time. Love, Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say, a most wonderful post, every word is worth thinking about. Strong sentences! I'm calculating what age your students are.. I think this amazing, just like I think it amazing you are teaching on Despereaux!
    Off to feed my mind another time with these strong lines.
    Lots and lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Sixth graders are 11 years old ~ They are at that tender age when they still need their teddy bears ~ but can rise to the occasion of such deep thinking!

    Thank you for taking the time to read their reflections! xoxo
    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  11. "It's like a cup of HOT CHOCOLATE on a chilly day."
    That is...perfect!
    What a gift to have YOU as a teacher Maria.
    I can only imagine the life~long lessons your sweet students learn from just being near you each day.
    You are a treasure.
    Please email me so I will have your email address.
    xoxoxox
    luv2greg@yahoo.com
    I think I have been emailing the wrong Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Words of wisdom from young souls - it gives me much reason to hope for the next generation. Thanks for these, Maria. We adults should take heed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aahh a breathh of freshness
    wise words from someone so young
    you should have a book of quotes
    these are keepers Maria
    you are blessed to have them
    they are blessed to have you!

    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Maria,
    WOW! Impressive wisdom from your students. I love this!

    I also love that book! I have a very special hardback (first edition) "Reinforced Trade Edition" The pages have a torn look to them...it is beautiful! It was a gift to me. How wonderful you are reading this to your class...:) They will carry the memory with them for a life time!

    XOXO Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so filled with wisdom and grace Maria. What a wonder!
    I think these children have an exceptional teacher. You are making such a wonderful difference in their lives Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yesterday I decided to turn things positive . I was very very sad because my wonderful beautiful 29 years old chestnut-tree has been felled . Because my neighbour complained behind my back , the tree was to big ! and he got what he wanted ...MY tree ....gone .
    I was so sad ... and angry .
    I'm not a angry person but he made me think some very very angry actions ......
    Than I knew ... I want to be me .
    I want to be myself .
    It's so true ...forgiving helps !
    Your students are magic !
    I thank you so much dear friend for helping just when I needed a sign ! all the best !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maria, I am amazed at the gentle incite, the depth of character and compassion, these children possess. Their words allow me great joy - great pleasure. Just knowing our future rests within the hands of these young ones, well, it comforts me. They have, indeed, inspired me today. Simply a beautiful post!

    Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What brilliant students... I think that says alot about your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Maria, how mature and thoughtful they sound!! Knowing you are their teacher, I am not surprised! My Miranda read that book. I'll have to ask her about it. I do so love the white as opposed to the dead grey/brown too! And now our driveway is melting during the day, so it's mud. Loving the frozen stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How is it that they are so much wiser than we are? It makes my heart feel good to know that students that age are thinking about more than text messages and Facebook. I loved this.

    Hope your day is a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful post!
    Wish you a blessed weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, the wisdom in their words... I hope they take it to heart; it will save them much heartache in their lives! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply beautiful
    Your students have some very powerful messages there.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments add sunshine to my day~